Wednesday, January 11, 2012

MFW: ECC ~ Norway (weeks 12-13)


Wow, did I take a LONG bloggy break! Although I haven't been blogging about school, we are still getting school done. The next few posts are going to be pretty boring as I play catch up with my posts (we are currently on week 16). Weeks 12-13 were around Christmas so they were "bare bones" kinds of weeks- we skipped arts & crafts to have Christmas fun.

Math U See: Lessons 25 & 26

All About Spelling Level 3: Steps 3 & 4

BJU English: Finished Chapter 6 and started Chapter 7

Reading: Senior's first assigned book was "Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates". This was not a favorite book at all. Getting him to read was like pulling teeth so I gave up about half way through.
Senior read and LOVED "Snow Treasure"!

The second week, he read "A Gift for Mama"- another winner.

ECC Bible: Senior continues to read through and memorize verses in Matthew.

ECC Geography: We covered Norway before Christmas break so we pretty much only did the reading and worksheets on Norway. Senior also played the Geography Game when scheduled. We skipped the crafts and cooking associated with this unit. I am sad we did not study it as completely as we could have but at least we got it done.

ECC Science: This unit concentrated on Northern Forests and seasonal changes. Senior read textbook and book basket selections on the topic.

Sorry for the boring and fast review! I will try and get our review of France up very soon.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes blog breaks are nice and much needed :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog through the MFW blogroll. I've been researching and decided to start MFW next year with my son who will be in 1st. Several people have told me to move ahead to Adventures because he is reading already. I'd love to know why you did that and if it's worked ok for you. I looked for any email on here but didn't find it. Just looking for some advice from someone who has experienced this! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,

      Thanks for stopping by! That is a great question and one I get asked frequently. We went with Adventures in the first grade because my son was reading and writing well. I think I tested him mid year and he was reading on a 5th grade level. We also had a plan to use Math U See Alpha (my husband is the math guy and he picks that curriculum). So my thoughts were: why spend the money on something when we were not going to use half of it (math and phonics). On the MFW site it does say that you can use Adventures with a 1st grader that is reading and writing well- so we went with it. I am so happy that we made that choice, it was perfect for us. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I found your blog through the MFW highlights links. I've been researching and have decided to go with MFW next year for my oldest who will be in 1st grade. I have thought about jumping to Adventures because he is already reading now. I'd love to hear why you did that and how it's going. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to gather as many resources online from other MFW ECCers. This is what we are going to do next year. I noticed this MFW ECC Friends list...how can i get on that? I'd love to snoop and use your great ideas.
    Thanks,
    April Ann

    ReplyDelete