Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homeschool Rookie

This week is Senior's spring break from public school. I wanted to take this opportunity to do a unit study with him on spring (I will post details and pictures after we are finished). It is only Wednesday and I have learned so much about what OUR homeschool will be like.

What I have learned about my homeschool "plan"
  • Schedule?? HA HA!
  • Teaching will take place between diapers and temper tantrums.
  • I was trying so hard to pick curriculum without any "twaddle" but I NEED a little! We will need some work that Senior can complete independently while I am taking care of the little boys.
  • I am so happy that we will be using Sue Patrick's workbox system. You can read about the workbox system here, here and here. We are three days in and if I hear, "is school over yet" one more time, I may scream :) I think this will help.
  • I also need the workbox system to make sure my planning is COMPLETE with all the needed supplies gathered.
  • Special "Tot School" time is going to be perfect for Gator-Tot.
What I have learned about myself

  • I am more "type A" than I thought.
  • I need to have a clean house before I can think. Clean is a relative term in this house, believe me. I need to get over it QUICK!
  • I can read, play with a toddler and breastfeed at the same time.
  • I will need the Lords help with this!!
  • I love my boys more than I ever thought possible and love watching them learn.
What I have learned about my boys

  • Senior is more patient than I thought.
  • Senior loves the idea of helping me "teach" Gator-Tot.
  • Gator-Tot is more attached to me than I knew. He NEEDS individual time each day.
  • G-Tot is very close to two years old, demonstrated by the massive temper tantrums that he is showing me.
  • Freshman will survive if he cries for a few minutes while I finish something up.
  • All of my boys are so sweet to forgive mommy if she "looses it" for a second.
And finally.... We will NOT be getting a puppy anytime soon!!

I am so happy that I had this opportunity to have a trial run at our homeschool adventure. I'm sure I will be adjusting things constantly but this gave me a good head start for the summer.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness you were considering a PUPPY!?

    :)

    We are getting started full time in June but I am like you and have been doing a little here and there. The workbox system is going to help with us as well...I hope!

    I am proud of you for trying it out this week! I am sure it was a boost of confidence because it sounds like it is going okay-despite the tantrums :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homeschooling is a lot of work and can be very frustrating at times, especially when you throw toddlers into the mix. But even on the worst days, it's the most rewarding experience. Nothing's better then seeing your very own blessings experience those "light bulb moments." I couldn't imagine someone else enjoying those instead of me.

    Just remember, you're NEVER behind in when homeschooling. It's just called a change of plans. One of the many perks of homeschooling. Enjoy the ride!!

    ReplyDelete