Saturday, February 5, 2011

Week in Review #22


This week we were able to get all of our work done and have some fun, despite Gator-Tot battling strep.

Something Special/Tot School: On Monday, we celebrated our 100th day of school. You can read more about it here.



On Wednesday, Mr. Groundhog visited in the boys breakfast ;-)

The rest of the week, the boys played some with the February sensory bin and worked on some football sheets (not pictured) in preparation for the big game.

Math U See: Lesson 25

All About Spelling: Level 2- Step # 5

First Language Lessons: Lessons 81-83

Writing with Ease 1: Week #20

Reading: Here are some of our favorite book basket selections from this week:




Senior has started on this book for fun:

We have started on our new read aloud:


Adventures in MFW (week#20): In Bible, we are learning how Jesus is the Vine. I was quite surprised how Senior was able to understand the analogy in John 15:5. By the end of the week, he was able to explain that Jesus is the Vine, we are the branches, God the Father is the Gardner, and the people we bring to Jesus are the fruit. I was an adult before I could grasp that concept ;-)

Whew, in history this week, we covered: the Louisiana Purchase, Lewis & Clark, Louisiana, War of 1812, and The Star Spangled Banner. I love studying The Star Spangled Banner!! I highly doubt that if Senior was in public school he would learn all the verses, especially where it says...

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I love homeschooling!!

For our study of Louisiana on Wednesday, we had Red Beans and Rice for dinner.

With beignets for dessert!!

I think it was a hit with everyone ;-)

Our science, was an overview of plants. I almost skipped our experiment this week because we grew corn and beans last spring. I am SO glad I did it because Senior needed the review. We talked about the fact that plants needed three things to grow: water/nutrients, air, and light.

We had two identical sets of popcorn kernels with the only variable being water. Senior's hypothesis was that both sets would grow but the one with water would grow more. He thought that the set without water would still grow because it had two of the three things it needed.

In the end, he understood that plants and animals MUST have water. I love MFW because it made sure that we tied this into the fact that our spirits MUST have the Living Water of Jesus Christ!!


Next Week: Jesus is the Vine, Robert Fulton, Indiana, Mississippi, and plants.

To see what other families did this week, head on over to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

1 comment:

  1. Love the 100th day of school glasses and hat! Also the food looks yummy!

    Visiting from weekly wrap-up!

    Kattie

    ReplyDelete