
Yeah, we are back working on our Adventures curriculum and I am so happy! I am also happy that the Geography Fair is finally over (more on that at the end).
Tot School/Family School- this week we started to study spring. We are reading lots of books on: gardening, flowers, and spring.

The big boys are working on color by number sheets from
Making Learning Fun. I am glad that Senior still enjoys this kind of work ;-)

Gator-Tot needed help but is doing really well staying in the lines.

While the big boys colored, Freshman had some fun with a few homemade tot-toys. This is just a wipes box that he is pushing his links through. He has played with this all week.

Later in the week, I cut a hole in a coffee can so that he could drop crayons through it. He played with this for over 30 min that morning. I LOVE free toys!
Math U See Beta: Lesson 2
First Language Lessons: Lessons 99-100- Finished with 1st Grade!!
All About Spelling Level 2: Step 11
Reading: Here are a few of our favorite book basket selections from this week.


Senior is loving the Encyclopedia Brown books. Here are the books he read for fun this week.


Adventures (week #25): In
Bible, we continue to study that Jesus is "...the Lamb...is Lord of lords and King of kings...". I love when God gives you the exact Scripture you need when you need it! That happened to Senior this week in Bible. He has been working on some extra "character training" when it comes to how he treats his little brother. We were reading from Romans this week and he just looked up at me with this look of complete AWE!
In
history, we studied: Iowa, Wisconsin, and the California Gold Rush.

Here is Senior studying about Iowa and eating popcorn ;-)

Our
science this week was a quick look at atoms and molecules. First, senior made a water molecule from two hydrogen atoms (purple grapes) and one oxygen atom (green grape).

Then, he made a glass of "water" for daddy when he got home from work. He was so excited to trick daddy!

Next, Senior learned a little about how soap molecules connect fat and water molecules and allow them mix. As an experiment, he tried to clean a buttered bowl with just cold water.

Even Gator-Tot got in on the action.

Once we finally added in soap, the bowl came clean.

Our next experiment was to see how soap molecules spread out. I don't know if you can tell but there is pepper floating on the surface of the water.

When we added a few drops of soap we could see the soap push the pepper to the edge of the bowl. They thought this was awesome!

All week long, we continued to work on the Italy project for the Geography Fair.

Senior loved making a model of Mt. Vesuvius from extra salt dough.


I have no idea what the face was about, ha ha!

I am really sad that these are the only pictures I got of his display and it's blurry :-( In the end, we had: the display board, a paper gondola, Mt. Vesuvius, a salt dough map, two lapbooks, and samples of Biscotti.


I was so busy wrangling my little ones that I didn't get a chance to visit all of the displays. Here are a few of the ones I did get pictures of.
India was beautiful!!

Senior loved all of the Lego models that they made. We HAVE to do something with Legos next year.

Russia was also amazing!

We had a great turn out for this only being the first year that the group has done this! Next year, I am getting a babysitter!!

I am linking to:
Homeschool Highlights in My Father's World,
1+1+1=1~Tot School, and
Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.
Your Italy project turned out great!!! And I giggled when you said, "I don't know if you can tell but there is pepper floating on the surface of the water." When I got ready to take a picture, I realized the pepper blended with the countertops, so I unfolded a napkin and put it under the bowl! Behold the life of a blogging homeschool mom! :P
ReplyDeleteGreat week ... of course!!! :)
Yay for finishing 1st grade language!! And i love all the experiments you do with your oldest.
ReplyDeleteSo many great activities! The atoms are very clever!
ReplyDeleteKerri