Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tot School~Squirrels and Acorns

Gator-Tot 27 months old
Freshman 10 months old
Tot School
Week #13
Theme: Squirrels and Acorn

I did not finish all of the activities that I had planned this week. Due to co-op, a play date, and recorder lessons we really only had Tot-School for two days. Here is the fun we had over those two days.

Tot Trays

Our trays this week: Pumpkin playdough, November Sensory Bucket, Lacing Beads, Paint Brush
Color Matching folder game, Latch puzzle, Duplo blocks.



Gator-Tot has been doing really well with color matching. Right now he is only able to name: green, purple, blue and brown. He needs help coming up with the names of the others.

He is doing really well with lacing but still needs the stiffness of the pipe cleaner.

Themed Activities


Our activities this week were based on the book The Busy Little Squirrel. I was inspired by Michelle at Delightful Learning. They "rowed" The Busy Little Squirrel this year and also did a squirrel study last year. Let me just say she is AMAZING! There is no way I could accomplish as much as she can but I did get some great ideas.

I made printables of some squirrel songs that I found here.


Both boys loved them! Here is a picture of G-Tot holding up two fingers for when we got to "two squirrels" ;-)

Here is our version of a squirrel buffet. Unfortunately we didn't have any hungry squirrels but we did have a hungry pug. If you are interested, dogs will eat: goldfish, nut clusters and even a pine cone with peanut butter, ha ha!

We made plenty of acorn crafts. The boys used the caps of the acorns to stamp a picture. G-Tot really enjoyed this. I got this idea, here, from No Time For Flashcards.

We also tried our hand at "marble painting" using the acorn without the cap. This did not work out as well because the nut was too light and kept getting stuck in the paint. The boys still had fun.


Here are all of our acorns. I need to figure out what to do with all of them ;-)

The last craft we did was to glue oatmeal and Cheerios to some cardboard acorns. Again I got the idea from No Time For Flashcards.

Gator-Tot's favorite part was snacking on the cereal.


We are looking forward to all things Thanksgiving for the next two weeks!

As always you can visit 1+1+1=1 to see what other tots did this week.


10 comments:

  1. Looks like you accomplished some wonderful and memorable learning fun! Too funny about your pug ~ and the acorn crafts are great!

    Thanks for linking back to me ~ you are so sweet, too! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those acorn crafts are adorable!! And you've just reminded me that we finally have marbles and can do marble painting. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just downloaded the paint color match today! The printables are so fun. I like the different crafts that you do. We've had fun feeding the wildlife this week too; too bad you didn't get a squirrel yet ;) (We're in a pretty urban area but after a couple months a gray squirrel found us! I make sure to keep cracked corn in the bird seed mix.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the squirrel buffet. The acorns look wonderful too. Please think about thinking your post to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun week. We really enjoyed the Busy Little Squirrel too. I love the squirrel buffet idea. We do have squirrels but we also have dogs and chickens and I don't think they'd leave anything for the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the activities! I especially liked the acorn cap stamping. We collected several acorns a couple of weeks ago, so I may have to try that activity with my kids. Thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness such great ideas! I'll have to try the acorn stuff, my dd is obsessed with acorns right now. Too funny about the pug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what great ideas! I am doing an autumn theme so this has given me some great things to do!

    ReplyDelete