Friday, January 7, 2011

First Grade Week in Review #18


This week we were able to accomplish more than I had anticipated considering Wednesday only marked one week since I had my appendix out. I am so thankful to have the security of My Father's World Adventures back, oh how I missed it!

Something Special: Although I didn't really have Tot School this week while I was recovering, we still had a fun craft. Both the boys had fun making classic paper snowflakes. I love how such a simple craft brought the them so much fun. I loved watching Senior's excitement when he unfolded and discovered his creation :-) Gator-Tot couldn't use the scissors but enjoyed coloring them in.


My little ham, pretending to make a sad face.

Math U See: Completed Lesson 22

First Language Lessons: Completed Lesson 69-71

Complete Writer Level 1 (our new addition): Finished week #16

All About Spelling Level 2: Finished Step 1

Reading: Our reading book this week was "The Canada Geese Quilt". Senior did a book report on it.
These are the fun books that Senior read this week:

He has started:

Adventures (week #16): Bible this week was a great review of our Christmas study as we learned that Jesus is Immanuel!

In history, we studied: Rode Island, Vermont, and Daniel Boone. Our state activity this week was to try real maple syrup. My Senior is so funny! I try and surprise him with these activities but he is just too smart. He saw the maple syrup on the counter and immediately knew that it was for Vermont, ha!

Not surprised that it was a huge hit with both boys!

BoldIn science, we are spending the next two weeks looking at weather. We did a few experiments studying how air expands and contracts and how warm air rises.

We warmed the air in a soda bottle and watched the quarter on the top "jump" to let out the expanding warm air.

Then we put ice in the soda bottle and watch the sides collapse in as the air contracted.

We had a little extra winter fun with a Snow Science Kit that Senior got for Christmas. This week we grew some crystals ;-)



Recorder also started back this week and in a few more weeks Co-Op will start up and Senior will be taking Draw Write Now, PE, and Spanish.

As always you can head over to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what other families did this week.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing what you did this week! I'm praying for your recovery.

    thanks for visiting my blog.

    I miss those days of elementary school stuff, though high school/jr. high is fun too. :-)

    Your kids may enjoy a book we found at our library called Bentley's Snowflakes, which are microphotographs of real snowflakes! It was so fascinating. A few years ago we went to a sugarbush (maple syrup farm) here in Michigan, and it was interesting to see how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Just a week after??

    Fun snowflake activities! We're doing a bunch this coming month too! We love making paper ones! Have you seen the Borax ones? Those look neat!

    Jessy
    http://oursideofthemtn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great science experiments!! Great week too! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your year got off to a rocky start just like mine! Two tragedies in two close friend's families --- trying to re-group and get back in the swing of things - hoping next week will be a "quiet" one. Someday I need to get back to blogging about our school stuff -- just been far to busy to document in pictures/blog posts of late. Enjoyed your update as usual -- you're always so creative and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week. Hope your recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! Love "tot's" sad face. :)
    I am SO sorry I haven't yet sent you the VA stuff you requested. I will get it together ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better. Looks like you had fun this past week.

    ReplyDelete