Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week in Review #20


It was an uneventful, normal week for us here at Baby Gator University. I felt bad that I did not plan "something special" activities for us this week. Tot- School this week only consisted of reading tons of books on hibernation and polar animals. Senior finished his normal curriculum and did a lot of reading.

Math U See: Finished lesson 24

First Language Lessons: Completed Lessons 75-78

Complete Writer: Done with week #18

All About Spelling: Finished with Step #3

Reading: Senior did a ton of reading this week from the book basket selections. We did a variety of work based on them including: character sheets and book reports. We started to use the book log from Homeschool Creations so Senior learned how to find the publisher and publication date this week.

Here are a few of our favorite books from this week:

Senior is reading this book for fun:
Adventures: In Bible this week we are studying how Jesus is "the Lamb of God". We looked back at Exodus to learn about the passover lamb. Have I mentioned how I love that MFW makes sure to show and explain the foreshadowing of Jesus in the Old Testament? LOVE IT!

History: This week we studied Eli Whitney and Tennessee. Senior LOVED learning about Eli Whitney and our cotton activity. We are lucky enough to have real cotton bolls from a field trip that Senior took to a cotton field last year. Our activity was to pick the seeds from the bolls by hand.
I think Senior missed the point because he had a blast, ha ha! He actually wanted to pick the whole bunch, I had to convinced him to save some for when we study Eli Whitney again in a few years.

All his hard work!
In science we are learning about living things and focused on cells this week. Senior labeled a very simple cell.

Then we created two edible models of cells. Our plant cell has a hard cell membrane and green jello cytoplasm. Our animal cell has a flexible cell membrane and red cytoplasm. *If I were to do it again I would not use red jello, it was too much like blood for Senior who was grossed out, ha ha!

Our finished plant cell has a banana nucleus, mandarin oranges for mitochondria and sliced grapes for vacuoles. We had a very yummy snack.

Next week: Jesus is the Lamb of God, Ohio, and Johnny Appleseed.

To see what other families did this week check over at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.


2 comments:

  1. Love the jello cell model. Hope he got to eat it too! I got some real cotton - haven't investigated it yet. Hope to soon. I loved the book Going Someplace Special. My girls got a visual for what it was like. It led to great discussions about God's view of each race.

    ReplyDelete