I am so happy to be back to school! I love having a routine and by the end of the week the boys seemed to be settling into it. The first day was not so fun but by Wednesday the boys were doing great with a minimal amount of fussing about work. Here is what we did:
The first day surprise breakfast and picture.

The boys working together ;-)
Math U See Beta: Lesson 14
Taking My Father's World's advice, Senior has 15 minutes of math drill Monday-Thursday. I had him working on the computer at the MUS site but that seems to stress him out and he has asked me to print him worksheets instead.
BJU English 2: Chapter 1 Lessons 1-5
All About Spelling Level 2: Review of steps 1-18
Reading: Senior has 30 minutes of book basket reading time each day. Here are some of his favorites from the week (I will not share all of them since MFW book basket selections are a copyrighted part of the curriculum ;-)


I did not
assign a reading book this week but will start next week.
These are two of the books Senior read during his free time this week.
Bible: Again, we have started to take the Hazell Family advice and Daddy is now teaching Bible to the whole family each night. I am loving this time together. This week was an introduction to studying and praying for the people around the world. Senior loved "God Speaks Numanggang". The memory verse this week is John 3:16.
Geography: This week was an introduction to maps and globes. Here is Senior filling out his passport application. On his pre-test on Monday, he was able to identify 8 countries. I can't wait to see how many he can identify at the end of the year.

We had so much fun with the "globe to map" activity. I used a ball instead of an orange and it worked great.
Please do not look closely at my drawings ;-)

We both knew what the point of the demonstration was, but were amazed at the amount of distortion! Wow!
Please don't look closely at my cutting- it was harder than it looked to cut that deflated ball- ha!

Working on labeling the continents.
Art/Music: Our art activity was to make a John 3:16 poster. I love that we were able to put faces to the people that we will be studying this year.
Jesus died for us ALL! Precious activity- thank you MFW!
Science: Monday- Thursday, Senior has a worksheet from "The Complete Book of Animals". This week he learned about some farm animals.

This year we are learning about the different biomes around the world. On Wednesday, we took a closer look at a square yard in our own backyard. Here is Senior studying it more closely.

We also have a rocky area on a hill in our back yard so we picked another square yard to observe.

Documenting in his notebook.

While we were outside, we had a picnic all together ;-)


The next day, we started to learn about "niches". Our activity this week was to set up an earthworm niche~ eek!! I still don't know why I didn't wait for Daddy on this one, ha!

I was a brave homeschooling mom and only screamed once, hee hee. Our layers are not as clearly defined because I didn't pack down the soil-oops. I also refused to touch them and just dumped them on top which is why the soil is on top not oats. They seem really happy in their new home ;-)
"All of a Kind Family" has made some awesome
printables for ECC. Senior has been documenting his niche each day. You know you are a homeschooling mom when you have a jar of earthworms next to your Kitchen Aide, ha ha.

We have had a really great week. As a way of rewarding the boys, I took them to McDonalds today and then to an indoor play area. Next Friday, we start back to our music lessons so we had to take advantage of the free time.

I will be linking up to
Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers Weekly Wrap-up.
Have a great year with ECC! Last year, my girls went from knowing 6 and 11 countries for the pre-test to 89 and 91, respectively, at the end (out of 105 possible) - that's a great testimony to how well the ECC geo game works. :^) I well-remember setting up the backyard square and the worms...only ours committed suicide by refusing to burrow! :^)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to be getting back to a routine as well :) And I totally agree with you about the earthworms...I would NOT be touching them either. lol!
ReplyDeleteMy worms suicided too! ECC is a GREAT curriculum. Hands down it was our best year of homeschooling ever! I'm sure you'll have a great year ahead of you!
ReplyDeleteI am one of those moms too (who does not like to touch earthworms, or any kind of worms for that matter). It never seemed to bother boys though. Looks like a fun week. And I do agree - it is nice to have a routine, or at least something similar to it.
ReplyDeleteHi! I am co-hosting the My Father's World Homeschool Highlights this school year with Kathi @ A Heart Like Water. The first one is Aug 25, the info is on my blog. I hope you join us, you always do such a nice job showing your week!
ReplyDeleteKattie
http://2ladybugsandalizard.blogspot.com/
What a fun week! We are doing week 3 right now but our co-op starts week 1 tomorrow. I can't wait to do the Square Foot and Niche (well not so much).. anyway I will not be blogging my weeks until next week. Glad you are ahead of me so I can steal your ideas girl!
ReplyDeleteMe too --- (glad you started first so I can "steal" your great ideas!)!
ReplyDeleteWe usually start after Labor Day -- but this year I think we'll start the end of August.
Enjoyed reading about your first week!
Hey Erin! I'm finally able to leave you a comment! My Blogger account was messed up and I wasn't able to comment for several days. Anyway, your weeks looks great! We did the ball instead of the orange, too -- much neater for Mom!! :) And I must be in the minority here because the worms don't bother me. I'm the proud daugher of a REDNECK!! ;) We just finished Week 2 today. I'm only posting by unit, though, not by week. So I'll post an Introduction review sometime this weekend. Looking forward to traveling the world with y'all this year!!! HUGS to you and your family!! :)
ReplyDelete