Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ECC~ Forest Field Trip



I LOVE homeschooling! How else could you turn a family weekend getaway into a field trip? This weekend we had a great time in the north Georgia mountains. It was perfectly timed for our study of the United States and temperate forests. Although I am not actually counting this weekend as legal school days, the educational opportunities were everywhere. What do you think was the first question I asked Senior when we got there? What kind of forest is this? He was able to correctly identify it as a Deciduous Forest- yeah!

We spent as much time as we could outside enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery.

Our cabin was right on a creek (aka. a little boys dream come true).


The dream nature walk.

We found this tree growing on a rock. The boys were able to actually see the root structure.

I had a happy teacher moment when Daddy found this animal hole and hypothesized that it was a beaver because of how close it was to the stream. Senior was able to correct him and let him know that the entrance to a beaver dam is under the water. YEAH!

By far, Senior's favorite activity was fishing. He didn't catch anything but he could care less.


Mommy, on the other hand, had a great time relaxing!



What weekend in the woods would be complete without S'mores?


I want to let my ECC friends know that my next ECC post won't be for another two weeks. I have decided to set our schedule up to school year around (roughly 3 weeks on- 1 off). I had intended not to take a break in the middle of a country (we have finished one week of USA) but this was a good week for a break. This week I will sure up a math concept that Senior is struggling with and tie up the loose ends to our first week of the United States. I love that I have the freedom to do this!

I'm linking up to MFW Highlights this week at Discover Their Gifts.

6 comments:

  1. I love homeschooling too -- for the same reasons! Glad you had a good (and relaxing) trip and were able to have some "teaching moments" while there! I always enjoy your homeschooling posts -- have a great week off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sounds like a great schedule! I thought of doing a 9 week on/4 week off schedule to go year-round, but we didn't end up doing it this year.

    I had to giggle when I read about the beaver entrance. My mom is at the point now where she just doesn't say anything around Hannah for fear of getting it wrong. I think it's kind of funny, personally. :)

    Looks like y'all had a great time escaping to the woods. Sure do wish you lived closer so we could meet in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time with family. Boy do your kids look like their daddy! I am glad you are utilizing your freedom to take breaks. Enjoy girl you are doing a super job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the one of you and him sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you were studying about deciduous forests when you went on your trip, I'd seriously count at least some of your time as official school time. Why not? :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great field trip! Enjoy your break!!

    ReplyDelete