
I'm going to be truly honest, I did not get everything done this week. There were several great activities that were scheduled for this week that just didn't happen. My plan was to rush around this weekend and get it all done before I blogged, but you know what- it is good enough. It is so hard for me to say that. I always want to go above and beyond, but I feel like this year it may not happen as much (no, I am NOT pregnant). I am going to put my trust in My Father's World and the curriculum they have prayed over. I don't plan to supplement it. I am also going to remember that I have a 2nd grader that will cycle around to it again. This is what we did get done:
Math U See: Lesson 15
Math Drill: I made a drill notebook by laminating worksheets. He can use them over again and check his answers. It is working well so far.
All About Spelling: Step 19
Reading: The assigned book this week was "Stone Fox". He really enjoyed it and finished early. He took a comprehension test at Book Adventure.
Senior still had 30 minutes of book basket each day. He enjoyed reading about the travels of Miss Rumphius.
We also read "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World" yet again and made an apple pie. I thought Senior would be bored with this, because we did it last year, but he asked if we could do it every year.


A Reason for Handwriting: Lesson 2
ECC Bible: We are still loving Daddy doing our Bible lessons at night. We read different Scriptures that show us God's heart for the world, all nations, and all tongues.
ECC Geography: This week we continued to study maps and globes. Did you know that the shortest distance between Chicago and India is over the north pole? I sure didn't.
I am making a GREAT effort to remember that Senior is on the lowest end of the age range for ECC. I have made flashcards for him on the Geography A to Z words. I still want him to do something hands on with the words each week. This week, he wanted to build the Indian Ocean out of Legos (we must not not have that many blue bricks- ha!).
I am linking up to 2 Ladybugs and a Lizard- MFW Highlights head on over to see what other families did in My Father's World this week.




My girls did ECC last year as 8 and 9 year olds - both essentially "3rd grade" though, in terms of our intended high school graduation time - and it was HARD for them! So, not only is it good to remember that you are WAY on the end of young for ECC (in fact, some would say not even in the right age for the cycle since Senior is your oldest), and he'll come around to it again...but, really, do not be afraid at all to use book basket books MUCH more than the main texts. I really liked POE as a science book, for example, and we'll come back to it...but I ended up just setting it aside last year (except as a reference for myself). Ditto with some of the geography stuff. The girls learned a lot...but it was much better to use the library literature than the main ECC books - and an MFW employee told me she herself had done that when she first did ECC (with her then-3rd grader). And I would say that relying on the book basket and other library books is not supplementing; instead, it's taking from the curriculum what will work better for your son's age than the many resources meant for older kids. Hang in there...and, most of all, use what makes the program fun! :^)
ReplyDeleteErin, I think it's not only good enough - it's GREAT!! I love the Indian Ocean out of Lego's, and I'm impressed that you did the biome worksheet - I skipped that one!
ReplyDeleteYou do a GREAT job of homeschooling your kids, and you already go above and beyond simply by investing your life in them. Keep it up, sister! :)
Oh, and BTW, how in the world did you get your apple pie to turn out so pretty? Mine looks awful!!!
Thanks so much for the encouragement ladies! This is why I love blogging. The main reason I was disappointed that I didn't "finish" this week was because the two things we didn't do were the hands-on, fun stuff (treasure hunt and the water cycle in a jar). Anyway, yes we will be using the book basket A LOT to bring things down to Senior's level.
ReplyDeleteJennifer- The apple pie is so pretty because it is a store bought crust (shh, don't tell anyone, ha!). We used the recipe in the book last year and no one really liked the taste, so I went the easy road this year and it was a hit!
We just started ECC today and I'll admit I wondered "Is this year going to be above my 3rd grader's level?" Glad to read your take (and the comments) on the year. Maybe it will help me relax and just enjoy learning as much as we're able to absorb.
ReplyDeleteWow you did TONS this week girl! Super job. Love the math drill worksheet idea. Gonna have to steal that one! We are finishing week 3 but I just had time to blog week 1. Glad you are ahead of me!!! heheheheeh
ReplyDeleteBoy ... that pie and world cake look super YUMMY! Did you know Kattie and I are co-hosting a MFW Highlights wrap-up? We will be rotating every other week. Just link up on Thurs evening from the week prior. Linky this week: www.2ladybugsandalizard.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYou cake turned out great! Thanks for linking up and sharing your week :0)
ReplyDeleteMy son opted for 'Stone Fox' too. When I asked him how it was and what it was about, he said, "well, I guess you'll just have to read it to find out". Little stinker! He told me all about it though :)
ReplyDeleteI understand crazy times and just not getting it all done. :) Looks like you & your had a great time with lots of learning though.
ReplyDelete