Monday, May 2, 2011

Week in Review #32

Our little birds are growing! I will be a little sad when our babies fly away (Daddy won't be because of the mess on the patio, ha ha). When Freshman wakes up, the first thing he does is point to the window and say "brrr". He fusses until we bring him to the window. The whole family loves to watch them.

Look at those beaks all screaming for food ;-)

Math U See Beta: Lesson 5

All About Spelling Level 2: Step 14

First Language Lessons: Lessons 108-110

Reading: This week we read more books about Abraham Lincoln, slavery and the Civil War.

Here are the "fun" books from this week. These are way too easy for him (he can read one in 20 minutes) but I really can't complain since he is choosing to read.

Adventures (week #28): For the next two weeks we are studying that Jesus is "the Good Shepherd" in Bible. It is a hard concept to understand that Jesus is "the Lamb" and also "the Good Shepherd" but MFW does a great job explaining it.

History was a continuation of our study of Abraham Lincoln. We also touched on slavery and the Civil War with our book basket selections. I love the fact that the Hazells (the writers of MFW) took into account the tender hearts of young children and held off teaching the details of this sad time in our county's history.

We actually live close to the sites of several Civil War battles. We took advantage of the deep history of our area and visited a local civil war museum. Once the sweet volunteer found out that Senior was homeschooled, he took it upon himself to give him a private tour and impart all of his knowledge on him.

I was so proud of my boy! Although most of what the volunteer told Senior was "over his head", he continued to give him his full attention and was so respectful.

Gator-Tot and Freshman were a different story ;-) Little Freshman really liked this statue.

In Science, we touched on energy, forces, hot & cold, and gravity.
One of our experiments this week was to demonstrate how heat makes air expand and cold causes it to contract. We held a bottle under warm water and then put a balloon over the opening. Then, we put the bottle in a bowl of ice water. We could see the air constrict but the balloon did not get sucked all the way inside.

Then, mommy gave it a little extra help ;-)

After that we put it in warm water. We could see the bottle expand again but the balloon didn't pop out.

Finally, I held it under hot water and the balloon came out.

Confession: I skipped the gravity experiment ;-)

Without a doubt, my favorite part of this week was our new read-aloud, Mountain Born. If I had any question about continuing with My Father's World, it was wiped out this week. This curriculum was so well thought out and prayed over! I loved the smile that spread across Senior's face when he made the connection between our Bible lesson and the chapter we read each day. Thank Marie Hazell!

I am linking up to My Father's World Week in Review @ A Heart Like Water.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, amen, amen about Mountain Born! Wasn't it the most beautiful thing to read it with the Bible passages Marie chose?!?!?!?!?

    I love that your kiddos are getting to see the bird family up close!! We had gold finches for a couple of months, but as soon as the trees started getting leaves, they all vanished. So all we have now are two lonely thistle seed feeders. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoyed our whole year with Adventures last year, but Mountain Born was truly a highlight among all the good stuff. :^)

    ReplyDelete