Friday, October 8, 2010

First Grade Week in Review #9


This was a very strange week for us here at Baby Gator University. Mommy did not feel 100% most of the week and the two little boys had a touch of a cold virus too. Most of the week we had school in our PJs (this is not normal for us at all) and Snuggies.

Here is the one day we made it up to the classroom to have "Circle Time".


But we did get our work done.

Math U See: Completed lessons 13 & 14.

First Language Lessons: Completed lessons 42-44.

All About Spelling: Finished Step 16

Reading
: Senior read all but a few chapters of The Boxcar Children #1 this week. He worked on comprehension questions from Garden of Praise.


Adventures: In Bible we continued to learn how Jesus is our Rock. We learned Psalm 62:1-2 with the printables from Totally Tots and Seeds Family Worship.

We also made stepping stones that we wrote the name of Jesus on. Cute story: after my husband got them from the store they were just sitting on the counter. I was planning on surprising the boys with them the next day but Senior saw them. He asked about them and I didn't say much- still hoping to make it a surprise. A little while later he came to me and said, "Mom, I think we need to the make those stones this week because we are learning that Jesus is our Rock"! I just had to smile- this boy is too much!

The kit came from Target and was only $3 on clearance! It was a tad girly with butterflies but we planned on using the top side anyway. I have to note that it was more difficult than I thought to write something on it. In the end, it didn't matter, the boys had a great time and will now think of Jesus every time we pass them in the yard!


I thought we covered a lot of material this week in history. Our focus was on George Washington but we also learned about Paul Revere and the beginning of the Revolutionary War. I kind of wish we had more time to study it or even to read all of the books in the book basket but I guess that is why it is a fun overview of American History.

Senior made his Tricorn Hat this morning while I read "Paul Revere's Ride"....

Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.
...
In Science we learned about the seasons. This was also an area I wish we had more time to study. We still have several books that we didn't have time to read :(

One day when Mommy really was not feeling well, Daddy worked from home to help out. He ended up demonstrating for Senior why we have seasons with our globe.


We went on a nature walk to look for signs of autumn.

This was one of the only trees that was starting to change.


The boys loved watercolor painting the leaves after we made the trunk and branches with their arm and hand prints.

We also made some leaf rubbings.


We had more fall fun with tot-school this week ;)


Next week we are taking a well needed break! We will be on vacation in Florida visiting family. I pray we come back with a renewed spirit ready to study again. Have a great week!

Go visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what other families did this week.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like you all have so much fun learning at your house! I love all the pictures. I laughed when you wrote what your husband taught the children in science b/c my husband also taught that same thing to the children and I didn't know it. Last year when we got to that lesson, one of them said, "Mom, we already know this because Dad taught us."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute to see Shawn right in on the action! Glad you are having fun w/ all the fall activities. :) Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you did lot of work for not feeling well! Enjoy your vacation. We are taking the week off for the fair and grandma's visit.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd never know you didn't feel well! Looks like you had a very full week! I understand what you mean about wishing you had more time to read some of the book basket books. I have found myself feeling very much the same way lately! Hope you have a great week in Florida and come back REFRESHED! :)

    PS - Your stepping stones were such a great idea, and I love the way you used the kids' handprints for the tree painting!

    ReplyDelete