Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Vacation Education

Wow! What a week we had of "life school". I was born and raised in Florida and I guess it takes 10 years of not living on the coast before you can learn to appreciate it again. This was such a great visit. My parents are so generous and loving, they spoiled my boys rotten. In addition, they are super supportive of our decision to homeschool so they had planned many educational activities for us.

Before we even left for Florida we visited Stone Mountain Park with Daddy (he had to stay at home and work).
A little of Civil War history.

On top of the mountain with PaPa.



One of our first activities in Florida was to visit Florida Power & Light Energy Encounter. It is a great museum all about energy and nuclear power.

Here is Senior learning about wind energy.

Designing a windmill.
Learning about our old friend Ben Franklin.


Even Gator-Tot got in on the action.


After FP&L and another small local museum, we went to the beach. Neither boy was too fond of the water that day but I got some good pictures. The highlight for Senior was the jellyfish he found on the sand.



Another day we went to The Children's Museum of the Treasure Coast. The boys had a great time. Senior's favorite part was being a mechanic.

He changed tires.
So did G-Tot.
Then they went shopping.
And learned about the human body.

Later in the week, we went to Lion Country Safari. We loved learning about and seeing all the animals from the comfort of our van :)


The zebras were really close.

We loved the lions!


There is even a walk through area. Here are the boys with PaPa and Grandma.


On our last day, we went to the Florida Oceanographic Center. I love this picture of G-Tot looking at the eel. They both look shocked to see each other, ha ha.

There were plenty of touch tanks to explore.

Here we are petting the rays. I was very surprised at how slimy they are.

There was a lagoon full of rays, fish, and nurse sharks. We couldn't find the sea turtles but they were in there somewhere.

Putting a puzzle together with PaPa.

Then a final visit to the river and the fountains.



We had an AMAZING time! Thank you mom and dad for taking such great care of us. We love you.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun! Wow! You did a lot! I'm going to have to remember some of that when we visit down there next. Love the cute picture of you and the boys putting your hands into the ray tank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like y'all have been super busy, but having fun!

    I wanted to let you know about the tearoom, I thought it was very kid friendly, and my son is very destructive just so you know. And the tearoom was still standing when we left :) I didn't think it was very girly at all, and we've done girly at home before.

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week! And what a blessing that your parents support your decision to HS. My mom finally does, but it took 3 years for that transformation to take place!

    Your whole week looked like fun, but I think the tire change pictures brought the biggest smile to my face! :)

    ReplyDelete