Saturday, August 21, 2010

Field Trip: Jamestown Settlement

This past week we took our first field trip to the Jamestown Settlement in Virgina. This fit in perfectly with our Adventures in My Father's World curriculum. Senior had a great time and I loved seeing him make the connections between what read about Jamestown and what he was able to see. At this age, he was not able to take in all the details but I'm glad he got to see a little of the "big picture".

Hands down his favorite part was going on the ships. He was able to get on the re-creations of the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery



Here are some pictures from the Fort. The "costumed historical interpreters" were amazing and I could have listened to them all day.




The boys also really enjoyed the Powhatan Village.



I could have stayed there all day (or several days) but with small children and intense heat we had to make it a quick visit. I foresee a much longer visit when we study American History again in a few years.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are SOOO lucky to tie this trip into your lessons! Yea! We just watched a boring movie about Jamestown today.
    Monica at discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete