Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tot-School ~ Brown Bear

Gator-Tot is 24 months
Freshman is 7 months
Tot School

Week#2
Theme: "Brown Bear, Brown Bear"
Letter Focus: B
Shape Focus: Circle

Tot-Trays

This weeks trays: Sunflower sensory bucket, sunflower playdough, shape sorting, pipe cleaner small spaces, puzzle, and stacking boxes.

Gator-Tot loved the shape sorting and pulled this out many times through out the week. I only put out two shapes at a time so he did not get overwhelmed. I got the mats from Home Grown Hearts and used buttons from here. He is so cute and won't (or can't) say circle so it is always an "oovvell" and when he says "ssssqqquare" he always spits everywhere :-D


Since the "small spaces" was such a hit last week, I put it out again with pipe cleaners. He liked it, but not pull it out as much.


Both G-Tot and Freshman liked the boxes. I'm glad they are drool proof.

Theme Activities
This week we "rowed" Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Everyday we started out by reading the book and then would do an activity based on it. I got many of my ideas from this great blog Refined Metals Academy.

The boys favorite was coloring each of the parts to the book. We would do several each day and they looked forward to it. I got the printables from DLTK.

We also used the Tot-Pack from 1+1+1=1. It is incredible! With the counting cards, G wanted to match the picture to it's page in the book. We would then count, 1 to 1, the pictures. G is not counting yet, but he will point his finger and put his hand in mine so we could count. His "counting" is 2....2.....2.....2. So adorable.


With the "head and tail" cards, G would find the matching set and again put them in the correct page in the book.


To make it more challenging, Senior turned them all face down and made a matching game.


G-tot did an amazing job at the size sequencing. I had no idea he would be able to do this.


To wrap things up on Friday, I laminated all of G-Tot's pictures and made puppets out of them so the boys could act out the story as I read.


Am I the only one that didn't know that nothing will glue to laminated paper? G was upset when all of the puppets fell apart :(


Non-Theme Activities

G has been pulling out the Math U See blocks at least once a week to build and play :D


We also made the letter B foam craft from Totally Tots.


I will be using these as our classroom alphabet! I think they are adorable!!


Yes, mommy had a "moment" or several where I needed the peace that only Elmo can provide, ha ha.


The boys loved hunting for all of the circles. I got the Shape Viewers from Home Grown Hearts.

Tiny-Tot School

My sweet little freshman rolled on the floor, sat in the Bumbo or the exersauser, chewed on some links and played with a few toys.


Next week we are on vacation so it is all about life school. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I grabbed the letter "A" alligator idea from you last week and Gracie and I will be moving on to "B" next week! I love the activities you put together for the kids. I've also done Brown Bear in the past and used some of the Tot Pack materials. That week was one of my favorites! :) Anyway, I love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I have tried to glue things to laminated pieces (only b/c I didn't have anything else)!

    Looks like a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun week. We love storytelling props as well. My daughter is 24 months as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the shape viewers -- what a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete