Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Grade- Week in Review #2

We had another great week of homeschool! I think we are getting a routine down, but I can't wait for Co-op and Recorder classes to start so we can have more outside activities.

"Circle Time" has been going amazingly well! Even I am surprised at how much the boys seem to enjoy it. Senior has been working in his calender notebook and G-Tot loves to pick the color and shape of the day. Here they are this morning singing and dancing to "God Bless America".


Senior has been enjoying starting his day helping his little brother with Tot-School. He has the choice of starting his work so he can get finished or playing with us- he always chooses Tot-School.


All-About Spelling: Completed Step 5 & 6. He is moving faster than I thought through the steps. I had planned on a step/week but he has it mastered by day 2 or 3 so we are moving on.


First Language Lessons: Completed Lessons 13-17

Math U See: Completed Lesson 5. He has not been challenged yet but I am glad he is MASTERING each step!



His reading book this week was "The Chalk Box Kid". He took a comprehension test, completed a mini book report and had a word wall activity. Senior enjoyed it and asked to read "The Paint Brush Kid" next.


Adventures: This week Senior started his Jesus poster that we will be adding to throughout the year.


We added to the timeline

The favorite activity was building and sailing our ships. To the other Adventure mommies out there- we used a straw instead of a pencil for the mast and it worked wonderful! Senior LOVED this and had a great time blowing them to the "New World" . The Santa Maria was his pride and joy. Unfortunately, they did not survive the storm that was bath time that night :-D


In science, Senior learned that the bottle is not empty, it is filled with air. He played for over 30 minutes with that bottle, filling and emptying it.

Book basket was still a favorite time but he had read all the books by Wednesday :( We read aloud one of the more advanced books.

We doubled up our history lessons this week so that we could study Jamestown before next week, because.....

Next, week we are on vacation in Virgina and will be visiting the Jamestown Settlement!! I am so excited, our first big field trip!!

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you couldn't glue anything to laminated items. Thanks for that life lesson! lol It looks like you had an amazing week, yet again. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you showed a visual of those ships because I was at a LOSS!! HA! We start week two on Monday. What are you doing for the book reports? I am switching our English curriculum to something simpler-right now English is taking us almost an hour. By the time we finish she is overwhelmed and not wanting to read anything during Book Basket time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, I am enjoying our English. It is VERY gentle and only takes 5 min./day. He has still learned common and proper nouns and is memorizing his second poem. The "book reports" I got from Busy Teacher Cafe. I am in the car or I would link it. Right now we are only covering identifying the author, illustrator, and and favorite part. I hope you find something you like soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog on the MFW Blogroll, and I think I'm going to enjoy hanging out here! :) It looks like we'll be going through Adventures together. We start Week 3 tomorrow, and so far we're really loving it! Your field trip to Jamestown was timed perfectly!

    Hope you have a great year. I'm your newest follower, so I'll be checking in regularly!

    Jennifer
    www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete