Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Grade- Week in Review #5

Another great week down and in the books for us.

We started on our Apple Unit this week. I think Senior really enjoyed working on the same theme as Gator-Tot but with activities for his level. This is our first time working on a Lapbook together. I hope he enjoys it because they look like a lot of fun.


Here is Senior working on his Apple Math.

Math U See: Took the Lesson 8 test and then completed Lesson 9. He also worked more with time and money.

First Language Lessons: Completed Lessons 26-29. He addressed and mailed himself a letter this week and can't wait to get it back- so sweet! On Tuesday, I introduced Senior's third poem and he already has it memorized! His favorite part of FLL is the poem memorization! To all the other FLL users- did you know that Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations has made all of the poems into printables? Go check her out!

All About Spelling: Completed Step 11 and 12. I think he is finally starting to be challenged! Woo Hoo!

Reading: His book this week was "The Long Way to a New Land". We used the author's teacher guide to discuss each chapter.

I also found this study guide but it is a bit above Senior's writing level.

Adventures: Bible- We made a sun "stain glass" window to remind us that Jesus is The Light of the World. No burns this time, ha ha!


Here is the finished product. I love Senior's work area!


History: We made an oiled window just like the Pilgrims!


We also planted corn like the Indian's taught the Pilgrims. Can you see our fish (white paper)? Somehow I don't think this is what Squanto had in mind, ha ha.

In Science, we talked more about stars and constellations.

Can I say it again? I love book basket!


Today, Senior had his first Recorder class and LOVED it!


He came home and wanted to practice right away. He only stopped because the babies are napping. I hope that enthusiasm continues all year!


Check over at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what others were up to this week.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week. Gotta love the sound of a recorder... my youngest love squeaking hers. I like book basket too - I just get too many books and want to read them all!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your week in review....we started later in the year so we're just now ready for week three.
    We really enjoy poem memorization as well --
    Love your apple lapbook too --
    Happy Homeschooling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to do this every week, Erin. I love reading your ideas and seeing what you guys have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you guys had a fun week! Love the fish! I think Squanto would be proud. :)

    ReplyDelete