Friday, September 24, 2010

First Grade Week in Review #7


So what did we do this week?

Math U See: Unit 1 Review. We did many, many review worksheets and on-line drills but I think it is paying off because the +0, +1, +2, +9 and +8 math facts are getting faster and faster :-) I am very impressed with Seniors ability to do word problems and "missing factor" (algebra!!!) problems- I'm glad he takes after his Daddy.

Reading: His reading book this week was "The Littles Go Exploring". Senior took a comprehension test and did a book report.

First Language Lessons: Completed lessons 34- 37. "Days of the Week" is taking him much longer to memorize.

All About Spelling: Completed Step 14 and is loving it- finally!

Adventures: In Bible, we continued to learn how Jesus is The Bread of Life. We learned this week that unleavened bread is so important because yeast represents sin!? I did not know that- I love learning right along with my kids! Senior made us a napkin holder so that we could remember our The Bread of Life.


In science we learned more about dough and yeast. We made some modeling dough to play with (we didn't make the playdough because I make that recipe all the time for the boys to play with).

Then we baked our creations.

On Thursday, we visited a real bakery to see how the professionals make bread.

If you visit a bakery you MUST sample the product!

When we got home we tried it out for ourselves. We were both tired after kneading for 5 minutes (especially Mommy after I had to make another loaf when I discovered my yeast was dead, boo hoo).
It was worth it for the finished product! And of course we had to make another batch (or two) of homemade butter to go along with it. I will have to make another loaf next week to share with our neighbors because this one did not survive my boys.

In history we learned about the French Pioneers that settled in Detroit. Senior made a paper canoe (not pictured) to remind him how they traveled up the Mississippi River in Birch Bark Canoes. He also memorized the Great Lakes.

Visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what other families did this week.



5 comments:

  1. Mmmm... fresh bread! This sounds like a very yummy week!

    I'm going to have to look at that Bread of Life symbolism; I didn't know that either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Week 7 looks like a delicious week! Can't wait to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for finally liking spelling!! :) I'm so glad you posted pics of your trip to the bakery. Would you believe we couldn't find any bakeries that would allow us to take a tour?! So we're looking at all the equipment in the background of your pics to see how the pros do it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @beaglemamma- yeah, I couldn't find one that would give a tour for one student either :( We just got lucky that at this one the prep area was visible from the dining area. Senior really did like seeing the MASSIVE mixer they had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just linked to you in a game of tag. Don't feel pressured to play, but it would be fun to read your replies if you get a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete