Friday, September 17, 2010

First Grade Week in Review #6



Week #6 is done! We had a great time here at Baby Gator University. Here is a picture that Senior snapped for fun. As you can see, the classroom may not be clean but it is filled with love :)

We finished up on our apple unit. You can read all about it here. These are a few of my favorite pictures from our apple study this week.


Math-U See: Finished Lesson 10. We are still working on making sure he has mastered each step. This week we took some time to do math drill worksheets and play Add-It.

All About Spelling: Completed Step 13. Here he is working on segmenting words with blends.

First Language Lessons: Completed Lessons 30-34

Reading: His reading book this week was "The Littles". I think it was his favorite so far! He is asking to see the movie- anyone see it? What do you think? He did a great job with the comprehension questions this week. He also did a book report.

Hard at work :)


Adventures: In Bible we are learning how Jesus is The Bread of Life! We talked about manna and the miracle of Jesus feeding the 5,000. I absolutly LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how MFW so perfectly ties together Bible, history and science!!

In science we studied yeast. We added yeast, water and sugar to a bottle with a balloon over the top to see what would happen.


I used fast acting yeast so this was after only 20 minutes! Can you see that the liquid is actually up in the ballon- I guess this was because our balloon was small? Well, you should have seen the mess when I took off the balloon because of all the pressure from the build up of C02!! It was hilarious! Senior and I laughed until we cried. This is my favorite homeschool memory so far- what a blessing!

A few days later we tried the same experiment with salt instead of sugar.


Yet again, Senior's hypothesis was correct (although he couldn't explain why). After two hours, no change. After around 4 hours we finally did see the balloon expand a little (not pictured). In the end, Senior understood that the yeast used the sugar as food and could not use the salt.

In history, we are studying the early colonists to America. This week we read a story about New Amsterdam that would later become New York.

This morning we made butter just like the settlers to the New World. Senior is not feeling well so I think we will try it again later. He really was not that interested although I thought is was really neat.


Gator-Tot enjoyed helping us out.


Here is the finished product. Neither of my boys will eat butter on anything so I guess Daddy and I will get to enjoy by ourselves.


So that was our week. How was yours? Check out the Weekly Wrap-up @ Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what other families did this week.

4 comments:

  1. I love how your balloon turned out! And I can't believe you made apple pie for school--I want to study apples with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I'm coming over for Apple Pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another fun/profitable week! Thanks for sharing -- I enjoy seeing what everyone else does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi -
    I just awarded you the Lovely Blog Award
    http://discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Congrats! Monica

    ReplyDelete